When it comes to making a living, we often use terms like occupation, job, and career interchangeably. But they are quite different. Occupations are related to your area of interest. It can be a trade or craft you follow in the broadest sense. For example, whether you are a TV reporter, print reporter, video editor, or content writer, you fall under the broad occupation category of ‘journalism’.
Jobs are a means to help you earn a paycheck. They play a great role in helping you build a sound career. But anything that gives you a paycheck is a job. Whether you are a waiter or a delivery boy, if it puts food on your table, you have a job.
Career is a life-long journey. To make a career, you need to acquire the right knowledge, the right skills, and the right experience. You need to learn consistently to remain relevant to the changing job market.
Planning a career needs to be immaculate. You need to keep many factors in mind. Job prospects in the career one choose in the short-term and long-term future is one thing one must keep in mind. We also need to account for black swan events (surprise hard-to-predict rare events that may have a major effect on your life) disrupting one’s career, such as the 9/11 event or the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic outbreak worldwide.
Here are some of the best professional careers for someone trying to build up new skills to help you survive the ups and downs of the global economy:
Healthcare Professions are in High Demand.
COVID-19 has sucked up many jobs. But the job market for healthcare professionals is seeing a sharp rise in demand. Besides the doctors and nurses, other medical staff which is in demand right now include:
- hospital ward boys,
- pharmacists, and
Healthcare professionals are frontline workers right now. Even when we can overcome this situation, they are still going to be in demand. The US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projected that the population is aging across the country, which means that the demand for healthcare services will continue to rise in the coming 8-10 years.
Understandably, physicians and surgeons are the best-paid lots of healthcare workers. If you wish to make a career as a doctor, you should aim to get a professional or doctoral degree in your field. Dental hygiene, Pharmacy (where you read the prescriptions and give proper medications to patients), and Nursing (where you can provide with primary as well as specialty healthcare) are some of the safest careers to opt for right now.
Medical Transcription is also a healthcare support career that may see a sharp rise in the future as digital copies of medical records of a patient are rapidly becoming a norm.
Bioscience Careers have picked up during the COVID19 Crisis.
WHO says that the frontline health workers need?
- 89 million masks,
- 76 million disposable gloves,
- 30 million gowns,
- 1.59 million goggles, and
- 2.9 million liters of hand sanitizer
Besides, demand for face shields, ventilators, and other medical equipment like devices and systems needed for diagnostics, therapeutics (or treatment), and healthcare management is also on the rise.
And who makes these devices or medical equipment? Biomedical Engineers!
Biomedical engineering or Bioengineering is a multi-disciplinary career field where researchers and professionals need to have an understanding of healthcare, medicine, biology as well as engineering. The future belongs to biomedical engineers who can offer better healthcare solutions that use limited resources or can be used in environments with limited resources.
Careers related to biotechnology, microbiology, diagnostics, screening, medical imaging, CT-scanning, radiography, etc. are also in demand. These are the people who create new tests and providing diagnostic testing services to people throughout the world.
Virology and Microbiology (where researchers study viruses and other microbial organisms, how they multiply, and how to develop vaccines against them), and futuristic therapeutic options (such as Stem Cell Therapy and Regenerative Medicine) will also be red-hot in the post-Corona world.
You may be more interested in Public Health (study of how to prevent diseases and prolong human lives) careers or become an Epidemiologist (who studies how diseases spread in population). Social distancing, lockdowns, and washing hands are some of the things epidemiology and public health specialists recommend.
Whether we conquer Coronavirus by next year or not, it is guaranteed that governments throughout the world will be focusing on improving their healthcare systems. Hence, fields like Immunology, Nanomedicine, and Hospital Administration will also be lucrative in the coming years.
Bioinformatics is also expected to see a sharp rise. It is an interdisciplinary field that uses computation methods (such as mathematical modeling, programming, statistics, simulation studies, etc.) to analyze large sets of data to provide new insights or make new predictions related to biological processes. Bioinformatics specialists can help in understanding cell signaling pathways and speed up drug discovery processes.
Online Educators gain New Respect during the Lockdown.
During this lockdown period, all schools, colleges, and universities have switched to online classes. Besides students, adults are also turning to online education. Many people have lost or are losing their jobs due to Corona lockdowns. At such times, they are looking to MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) to learn new skills and earn a living from home. The companies like GoDissertationHelp also supporting this by providing free educational resources online.
Thus, the business of online education is going to go up with time. Online education has some added advantages which traditional classrooms do not offer. They offer:
- Greater flexibility: You can choose what to learn, how to learn it (with the availability of multi-media), when to learn, and where to learn. It does not matter whether you get up early in the morning or stay up late at night. It also does not matter whether you like to study in a library or a park or your study room. With online education, take your gadget where you want and attend your video lectures from wherever you want.
- Accessibility to the world’s best teachers: Top Ivy League universities offer free and paid education programs online these days. So, if you can’t take admission in Oxford for any reason, you can still opt for a course from your favorite professor there on popular MOOC platforms like edX or Coursera.
Many regions have a lack of good teachers. Online education and live streaming of lectures can solve this problem.
- Artificial Intelligence and Gaming techniques offer better education: With the rise of AI and the increasing use of online gaming tactics, learning becomes fun. It becomes easier to judge a students’ understanding of the matter and offer him or her personalized content – better suited to his or her stage of learning.
Naturally, a career in online education is going to pick up in the future. If you are already a teacher, this is the time to hone your skills to teach your students online and if you are a good academic writer, then it’s time to approach assignment writing services.
You need to lead to translate traditional course material to make it suitable for the online environment. You will need to learn tools like online blackboards, message boards, virtual reality platforms, and other software effectively. To become an online tutor, you need to have a certificate or degree in online education (besides your Master’s or Ph.D. degree).
Besides teaching, the online education sector also needs IT professionals to develop, manage, and troubleshoot platforms – just like the eCommerce sector. Some such careers include:
- User Interface or User Experience Designing (UI/UX Design),
- Product Management,
- Business Analysis,
- Product Development,
- Supply Chain Management, or
- Content Management.
We are a part of the Information Age. So, if you are in a line related to the IT sector or online services, you can expect your job to be safe in the turbulent times.
Mobile App Development is the Way to Go.
Mobile applications are a rising market. It is expected to touch 935.3 billion dollars by 2023.
A career in developing mobile apps can set you on the path to success. And you don’t necessarily need a Computer Science degree to be a mobile developer. Here is how you can do it:
- Choose Android or iOS as your Platform: There are many platforms for mobile apps – iOS, Android, Windows, Symbian, Blackberry RIM, etc. Android is the most popular one with iOS being the second most popular choice.
- Prep Yourself Up with the Essentials: If you are already a web developer, some mobile app development tools (such as Appcelerator Titanium) might be easier to learn. But if you do not know how to code, it would be a good idea to subscribe to some MOOCs on object-oriented programming and basics of how mobile apps work. If you are a novice in technology, you can find many beginner-level courses on computer science and programming on online portals offering free courses.
- Master Coding: iOS app developers need to be good at Swift or Objective-C. Swift is more suitable for people who want to create their apps and sell them. Objective-C is better for people looking to find a job is a mobile app development company. Apple has an iOS Developer Library with many great tutorials you can use. Many great blogs can also help you learn iOS app development easily.
Android app developers need to know Java or Kotlin. You can start with Google’s Android Developer Library. With the type of Android devices flooding the market, you might choose to specialize in the one you think have the best prospects in the future.
You may also mobile development software to build apps without much coding skills – as a beginner. Writing clean codes and proper documentation is necessary to succeed as an app developer.
Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, Big Data, and Data Science are some other careers that are expected to rise exponentially in the next decade. Choosing them as your career options may also prepare you for the future in which science fiction is coming true to life.