None of us like falling ill! But when it comes to the stomach flu, there is nothing much that you can do about it.
Stomach flu usually comes with its own set of symptoms and the moment it hits you, it instantly makes you feel miserable and nonfunctional. In other words, you find yourself lying on your bathroom floor within the reach of your sink.
The onset of symptoms normally includes fever, nausea, and chills, which gradually shifts to severe pain, aches, diarrhea, and vomiting.
Stomach flu is very unpleasant and has no specific cure.
That said, there are a few remedies that can offer you some relief from the flu’s brutal symptoms. It also helps you feel better once the most difficult phase comes to an end. Along with remedies, we’ve also mentioned the causes and prevention of this flu.
Let’s take a look at them!
Remedies for Kids
As awful as it is for you to suffer from stomach flu, it’s even more difficult when it happens to your child. If your kid has the stomach flu and its symptoms haven’t yet died down, it’s best to take them to 24 hours emergency care centers Arlington for immediate medical attention.
The doctor can ensure your kid starts recovering without further complications and also check that there aren’t other symptoms.
You must encourage them to keep sipping fluids at regular intervals to avoid dehydration. You can also give them an electrolyte solution, as that offers some relief from the flu.
Remedy #1 – Drink a Lot of Fluids
The intake of fluid is extremely crucial, as you will be losing a lot of essential fluids due to diarrhea, sweating, and vomiting. If you are finding it difficult to gulp down a glass full of water, you can either chew some ice chips or take small sips of water every now and then.
Some of the best fluids you could drink are:
- Clear liquid like broth and water.
- Sports drink as a replacement for electrolyte (reserve this drink only for adults and older children).
- A few types of tea like peppermint and ginger tea to alleviate nausea by calming your stomach (try avoiding teas that are highly caffeinated).
Remedy #2 – Try Consuming the BRAT Diet
When suffering from stomach flu, it can be a tad bit difficult to follow your regular diet. But do not compel yourself to eat food provided the very thought of it makes you feel sicker.
If you feel you can finally eat something, always start simple and slow.
For instance, the BRAT (banana, rice, applesauce, and toast) diet is the best option when you have the stomach flu. These food items are rich in carbohydrates and easy to digest. They also replenish nutrients in your body and make you feel energetic.
Here’s how the BRAT diet can come to your aid:
- Banana: A banana is not only easy to digest, but also helps refill the potassium in your body that you’re losing due to diarrhea and vomiting, and reinforces your stomach’s lining.
- Rice: As compared to brown rice, it is best that you consume white rice if you are having stomach flu since it offers a lot of energy through carbs and is easy on your body.
- Applesauce: Applesauce contains sugar, carbs, and pectin, which boosts your energy and alleviates diarrhea. It is also easy for your body to process.
- Toast: Do not consume whole-wheat bread since it is rich in fiber and can be difficult to digest. Instead, go for white bread as it can be easy on your digestive system.
Remedy #3 – Try Acupressure to Alleviate Nausea
Known as an effective treatment, acupressure can help you alleviate different forms of nausea. Studies suggest that trying acupressure on the P-6 point can give you some relief from the symptoms of stomach flu.
To find the P-6 pressure point, simply measure the width of your 3 fingers from the bottom of the palm.
Below that width, try to feel the sensitive spot between your tendons with the thumb. Once you have found the spot, gently massage it using your thumb for nearly 2 to 3 minutes.
Remedy #4 – Give Your Body Enough Rest
When you are suffering from stomach flu, it is obvious that you will lose a lot of energy because of the constant vomiting and diarrhea. It is, therefore, important to ensure that your body gets enough rest to fight against the issue.
Reduce the daily activity that you are used to doing every day and get enough rest. This means, when you are not in your bed you must lounge on your couch.
By giving your body enough rest, you are helping it to work hard to fight against the virus and repair the damage that has been caused on a cellular level.
Now that you know what to do when you have the stomach flu, let’s take a look at –
What Causes Stomach Flu?
Also known as gastroenteritis, stomach flu is normally caused due to different types of viruses that attack the gastrointestinal system. Remember, it is not caused due to the influenza virus which is the major cause of seasonal flu.
Although very rarely, bacteria can also cause stomach flu. This happens when you consume contaminated food or water from an unhygienic place.
How to Prevent Stomach Flu?
If you or anybody in your family has the stomach flu, it is better to be extra cautious. Avoid any contact with people who are infected and wash hands as many times as possible.
Other ways to prevent the flu is to get enough rest and keep yourself clean. Here’s what you can do:
- Instead of hand sanitizer use soap and water to wash hands.
- Rather than washing your dishes with your hands, use a dishwasher.
- Isolate the infected member and make them use just one washroom.
- Using a disinfectant, clean your kitchen countertop and other surfaces.
- Regularly wash the bedding and other clothes.
When Should You Go to the Doctor for Stomach Flu?
Whilst most of the illness related to your stomach subsides on its own, there are certain cases when you need emergency room doctors Corpus Christi for immediate medical intervention.
Here are some signs of stomach flu that need medical attention right away:
- Dry mouth
- Increased thirst
- Increase heart rate
- Blood vomit
- Weight loss
- Fever more than 104-degree
- Abdominal pain
The Bottom Line
Whilst suffering from stomach flu is not the best experience, the majority of people recover from it without additional complications. All you need to do is keep yourself hydrated until the time to get through the illness.
As we have already mentioned, there is no specific cure to stomach flu – just follow the above-discussed remedies and keep yourself mentally and physically fit!