Sourdough crackers are a quick and easy made recipe that you can make at your home. There are the ultra-thin and crispy delights you can season with herbs and finish with sea salt. You can serve these crispy snacks to your guests with cheese and top them with a dollop of delicious jam. Besides, you can make the cracker dough in advance and refrigerate it for up to 24 hours. When you have a recipe prepared in advance, you can focus on other dishes on the main day. To get the recipe ready to serve, read the procedure described in this post.
An Overview Of The Quick Yet Delicious Recipe
Sourdough crackers can be one of the best starters you can make for your house parties. The best thing about the crackers is that they need only a few ingredients you may easily get from your local store. Besides, if you are making any sourdough recipe, such as waffles, or pizza crust, the remaining sourdough can be used to make this recipe. You can simply add it with olive oil, salt, and your preferred herbs to make it.
The ingredients of the recipe we are going to discuss here are simple, and you may find them in your nearby store with ease:
- White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt for finishing
- 1 cup (227g) sourdough starter, which can be unfed, or discard
- Four tablespoons (57g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Two tablespoons dried herbs of your choice, optional
- Next, you need oil for brushing
- In the end, you need coarse salt to sprinkle it on the top.
Step-By-Step Procedure To Make Sourdough Crackers
Now that you have all the ingredients handy follow the below-given procedure to make sourdough crackers.
- To make a smooth and cohesive dough, mix the flour, salt, sourdough starter, butter, and herbs together.
- Divide the dough into two symmetrical pieces, and form a small rectangular slab into each half. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dough is firm, for 30 minutes, or for up to a few hours.
- Before getting started, you need to preheat the oven to 350°F to proceed further.
- Very lightly spread a piece of parchment, your rolling pin, and the top of the dough.
- Roll the dough to around 1/16″ thick, working with one piece at a time. You may see the ragged and uneven edges, but the taste will remain intact. Just try to make it as much as possible.
- On a baking sheet, move the dough and parchment together. Brush with oil gently, and then spray the salt over the top of the crackers.
- You may now use a rotating pizza wheel to cut the dough into squares of 1 1/4′.
- Pick each small square with the tines of a fork.
- For 20 to 25 minutes, bake the crackers until the squares begin to brown around the edges. Reverse the baking sheets halfway through: both from top to bottom and front to back; this will help brown the crackers evenly.
- Remove the crackers from the oven when completely browned, and transfer them to a cooling rack. Store airtight for up to a week at room temperature; freeze for longer storage.
- You may now enjoy sourdough crackers, which is a healthier alternative to most of the other chips and crackers available in the market. You can use hummus or other dips to enjoy it. Additionally, you can also enjoy it with a lip-smacking hot soup.
Different Ways To Shape The Crackers
You may use a cookie-cutter to cut the dough into several tiny crackers. They look good but take more time. Alternatively, you can roll them into thin sheets before making them. To get the thinner sheets, use parchment or waxed paper. Finally, you can bake them or refrigerate them for the next 24 hours. After baking, you can easily break them into smaller pieces. It is not necessary that you will get the perfect shape for the starters. Yet, the taste will be intact.
Things You Can Mix With The Recipe
When making the dough for your sourdough crackers recipe, you can add herbs of your preference. Also, you can add a mix of dried herbs with lavender to enhance the taste of the snacks. Alternatively, you may also add dried thyme or rosemary or any other spice blends your taste buds like.
What To Add For The Finishing?
To give your sourdough crackers a perfect finishing, you can sprinkle flakes of sea salt. Besides, you can also add sesame, poppy, or any other seeds for the toppings. Alternatively, a dollop of the homemade jam can also be perfect for serving this sourdough crackers recipe.
How To Store?
After making your sourdough crackers, you can store them in an airtight container for up to one week. You may use a mason jar with a tight lid. Alternatively, you may store it at room temperature in a weck jar.
Things To Consider When Making The Recipe
Now that you are aware of several important aspects of the sourdough crackers recipe, below are some handy tips related to it:
- Crackers are so thin and delicate. You need to consider that they can be so brown in a few ovens. You should keep checking the crackers every 20 minutes when baking them. It will help you to ensure that they don’t get over bake or burn.
- You may use the discard either cold, at room temperature, or right out of the fridge.
- The sourdough crackers can be stored for up to one week at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Shaping out the dough is optional. The sheets can easily be broken into pieces once cooled.
- To add flavors to the crackers, you may add fresh herbs and grated hard cheese.
Undoubtedly, sourdough crackers can be the best recipes you can have for your starters. They are surprisingly handy and delicious. The recipe described in this post can help you to make crispy crackers with the utmost ease. To find more delicious recipes, you can navigate through our blog section.