Papaya was once an exotic fruit that was not available throughout the year. But now, you can find papaya almost everywhere. This fruit is very popular among people for its delicious taste. While some of us love to eat papayas, many of us may think about its nutritional values. Papaya benefits our health in many ways as they are rich in nutrients and minerals.
How to Eat Papaya
The thought of mouth-watering fruits always refreshes the mind. Similarly, Papaya is a fleshy and watery fruit that is enjoyed in mostly Asia, Caribbean and is consumed globally. They are available throughout the world for most of the year as they have high demand.
To eat a Papaya, you need to make sure that your papaya is ripe enough. You can decide for yourself when you observe the skin of the papaya turning yellow from green. Papayas also ripe faster when left with ethylene producing fruits like apples and bananas.
After choosing a ripe Papaya, cut it into two equal halves. Using a spoon, carefully scrape out the seeds and pay attention to not exert too much force. After separating the seeds, feel free to eat the fruit as you like. You can cut into wedges or scoop out the fruit matter. It is wise to not throw away the seeds. Although they taste very strong, seeds make it difficult to enjoy the fruit when eaten together.
You can save the seeds for later and add them to your diet. Papaya benefits are very healthy and must be consumed for its nutritional advantages.
How to Serve Papaya
There are so many ways to serve papaya. There are traditional ways and of course new innovative ways to present a fruit dish. After cutting a Papaya into two equal halves, you should separate the seeds and serve in any manner you like.
- You can slice the skin of the fruit and make small or thin wedges. But this takes out most of its water as repetitive pressure from cutting the fruit releases its juices.
- You can leave the skin as it is and use an ice-cream scoop to scoop out the fruit matter. This also leaves many juices flowing out from the fruit.
- You can cut it into small pieces and throw them in your juicer or blender.
- Papaya is very popular as a culinary item. You can prepare desserts to salads and soups from Papaya.
- You can add it in your regular milk and make a milkshake. There are also many ways to prepare Papaya cocktails and smoothies to keep you energized during the summers.
- You can also prepare ice creams and deserts from Papaya. There are many recipes that will leave you amazed and content.
Green Papaya Benefits and Side Effects
Green papaya is exceptionally beneficial for health in most cases and provides the body with the necessary nutrients. Some of the benefits of green papaya are:
- Zeaxanthin is an anti-oxidant available in papaya that protects the eyes from harmful blue rays. Hence, Green papaya helps prevent age-related deterioration of the eye
- Beta-carotene is an anti-oxidant present in green papaya that prevents cancer
- Beta- carotene in Green papaya helps in preventing asthma
- Green papaya lowers blood sugar levels
- Vitamin K in Green papaya help in improving bone strength
- Green papaya helps with digestion with its enzyme called papain
- However, there are several side effects of consuming green papaya too. Some of the specific side effects of Green papaya are:
- Green papayas contain an enzyme called chitanases, which is harmful to people with latex allergy.
- Papaya seeds and roots are harmful to the fetus. Most doctors prevent pregnant women from consuming papaya.
- Green papaya contains a high amount of fibers, which might be good for constipation issues, but could lead to digestive disorders like an upset stomach.
- Green papaya does not go well with blood-thinning medications and can lead to bleeding or bruising.
Papaya Benefits Weight Loss
Papaya is known for its delicious taste and richness of nutrients; but did you know it also benefits significantly in the process of weight loss? Loaded with essential antioxidants and digestive enzymes, the papaya is completely fat-free and adds no extra calories on consumption. Here are some reasons why papaya is regarded as one of the most essential fruits when it comes to weight loss.
- Rich in fiber: Papaya is rich in fiber, which gives it the capacity to keep you full for a long period. If you are trying to lose weight while not compromising your health, papaya might be the perfect solution for you.
- Prevents swelling: Swelling of body us undesirable, especially for someone who is trying to lose weight. Rich anti-oxidants in papaya help in preventing inflammation or swelling in the body.
- Improves bowel movement: To lose weight, it is important to have a strong digestive system that will eliminate the undesirable waste from the body. Chymopapin present in papaya helps in smoothening bowel movement and checks constipation.
- Provides adequate protein: Protein is an important nutrient in the process of healthy weight loss. In order to make up for the lack of fat in the diet, it is important to consume adequate proteins. Papain in papaya helps the body to absorb proteins from the foods it intakes.
Papaya is a well-known fruit all over the world for its rich and exotic taste. It has very fewer calories compared to other fruits and can produce fruitful health benefits. Papaya yields positive results on your health when introduced into a balanced diet. Papaya benefits our digestive system and enriches the body with vitamins and minerals. It carries all the vital nutrition from carbohydrates and vitamins to minerals and fatty acids which are essential for a healthy body. The seeds of Papaya are most rich in nutrients and are often consumed by many people for its benefits and nutritional value.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, An average weighing Papaya can carry almost 68 to 69 calories. Mexican Papayas are much bigger and can weigh up to 10 pounds. Hawaiian Papayas are smaller in size weighing up to 1 to 2 pounds.
- Dietary fiber- 2.7 g
- Calcium- 31 mg
- Magnesium- 33 mg
- Potassium- 286 mg
- Zinc- 0.13 mg
- Vitamin C- 95.6 mg
- Folate- 58 mg
- Vitamin A- 1,492 IU (International Units)
- Vitamin E- 0.47 mg
Papaya Benefits for Skin
Did you know Papaya can benefit your skin as well? Papaya is a natural treat for your skin too. The fruit’s rich vitamins and minerals help fight skin aging and much more. Here are some ways Papaya benefits your skin:
- Natural Moisturizer: Mash the papaya and add honey to it. Leave it for five minutes to dissolve. Apply this face pack and get amazed by its instant results. Rinse with cold water.
- Can clear pigmentation: All you need is one glass Papaya juice for this method. Just dip some cotton balls in the juice and apply them in the affected areas. You can leave it to dry for twenty minutes. Rinse with cold water.
- Reduces wrinkles within a week: Papaya’s skin is used for this purpose. Peel off the skin and rub it in your face and neck. After half an hour or so, wash the applied areas with cold water.
- Removal of dark circles: Green papaya is used for this method. Mash the Green papaya and apply the paste under your eyes. After fifteen minutes gently rub off the paste with lukewarm water. Follow this routine regularly for better results.
- Melasma treatment: Papaya’s properties can naturally heal different skin conditions. Apply any Papaya on the affected area daily and keep that area clean.
- Tan removal: All you need is four to five cubes of ripe Papaya, one tablespoon of honey and turmeric powder. Make a thick paste and leave it for twenty to thirty minutes after applying. Wash with warm water.
- Acne control: You can also control acne breakouts by regularly using a Papaya face pack.
Papaya Benefits for Hair
Papaya has many properties that are also beneficial for hair. It promotes hair growth and reduces dandruff and hair fall. Here are some ways in which Papaya benefits the hair:
- Hair growth: Papaya is an active stimulant in hair growth. The folic acid present in the fruit makes it a good choice for hair health. Our hair follicles receive better blood circulation due to Papaya. Include papaya in your diet for strong and beautiful hair growth.
- Removes Dandruff: The folic acid present inside Papayas makes it one of the best dandruff fighters. Dandruff is caused by fungus and folic acid’s anti-bacterial properties help in reducing dandruff.
- Natural Conditioner: Mix a ripe Papaya with two to three tablespoons of yogurt and apply the paste in your hair. It is recommended to keep the paste on for about an hour. Wash your hair gently with clean water using a shampoo.
Papaya Benefits in Pregnancy
While there are many benefits to eating Papaya during pregnancy, there are also many risks. Many women are confused about the consumption of papaya during their pregnancy. We shall now discuss the positive and harmful effects of Papayas during pregnancy.
- The right amount of Papaya consumption can highly increase lactose production in mammary glands.
- Folic acid present inside papayas is essential for baby’s neurological development.
- Papaya aids in digestion and works like magic for constipated pregnant women. Constipation is a common problem in pregnancy and Papayas can help pregnant women to maintain healthy bowel movements.
- Papain found in Papayas can limit fetus development, cause uterine contractions and premature birth of a baby.
- Papayas affect the development of Placenta and can even cause placental bleeding and hemorrhage.
- Papaya can increase gut mobility which can lead to increased bowel movements. Sometimes this causes delivery complications and in some cases miscarriages.
Benefits of Papaya Leaves
The most incredible characteristic of papaya is that almost every part of the tree and fruit can be used for various health purposes. Leaves of papaya trees contain powerful enzymes that aid in the process of digestion. Some of the important benefits of papaya leaves are:
- Cure for Dengue: Many doctors recommend drinking Papaya leaf juice for effective treatment of dengue fever.
- Prevents Malaria: Acetogenin, a compound found in Papaya leaves has anti-malarial properties and can help recover from malaria.
- Improves liver: Papaya is a natural cleanser and protects the liver from diseases like jaundice by cleaning the liver.
- Relieves period cramps: Papaya leaf juice can regulate healthy menstrual cycles and can also relieve pain from menstrual cramps. It releases essential hormones to keep the menstrual flow smooth and even relieves from PMS symptoms.
- Improves digestion: Papaya leaves are loaded with protease and amylase. This helps in breaking down of vitamins and minerals and aids in digestion.
Benefits of Papaya Seeds
Papaya seeds are consumed all over the world for its healthy properties. The seeds rich in antioxidants help to maintain a healthier life and benefit our body in many ways. We shall now discuss some of the major benefits of eating Papaya seeds:
- Prevents and fights Infections: Papaya seeds have natural properties that can demolish unwanted parasites and fungi from our system.
- Protects the Kidney: It can prevent serious kidney diseases and ensure the proper functioning of the organ by cleansing it
- Anti- Cancer properties: Many studies have proven Papaya seeds to be an effective medication for anti-cancer treatment. Black papaya seeds have shown to reduce inflammation and reduce cancer cells in the body.
- Improvement of the digestive system: A natural cleanser and moderator, Papaya seeds improves digestion and gut flora. It also helps in constipation and regulates bowel movements.